Who is Tony Hsieh?
Tony Hsieh (1973-2020) is a Harvard University graduate who joined the company white it was shoesite.com. In 2009, Amazon bought Zappos for $1.9 Billion. Under Hsieh, Zappos has been known for its friendly and lenient customer service, including a return policy that gives customers 365 days to return their shoes (provided they’re “like new”).
Tony Hsieh Quotes
- Our belief is that if you get the culture right, most of the other stuff, like great customer service or building a great long-term brand, or empowering passionate employees and customers will happen on its own!
- There’s a big difference between motivation and inspiration: Inspire through values and motivation takes care of itself!
- Have fun. The game is a lot more enjoyable when you’re trying to do more than just make money!
- For individuals, the character is destiny. For organizations, culture is destiny!
- People may not remember exactly what you did or what you said but they always remember how you made them feel, that’s what matters the most!
- Don’t be cocky. Don’t be flashy. There’s always someone better than you!
- If anyone’s ever interacted with an alpaca, you know you just can’t help but laugh!
Tony Hsieh Success Quotes
- “Money alone isn’t enough to bring happiness. Happiness is when you are actually truly ok with losing everything you have.”
- Customer service shouldn’t be a department, it should be the entire company.
- Happiness is really just about four things: perceived control, perceived progress, connectedness (number and depth of your relationships), and vision/meaning (being part of something bigger than yourself).
- I view my role more as trying to set up an environment where the personalities, creativity, and individuality of all the different employees come out and can shine.
- Envision, create, and believe in your own universe, and the universe will form around you.
- Zappos is a customer service company that just happens to sell shoes.
- I decided to stop chasing the money, and start chasing the passion.
- Good service comes naturally from satisfied employees who embraced the company culture.
Tony Hsieh Inspirational Quotes
- Your personal core values define who you are, and a company’s core values ultimately define the company’s character and brand. For individuals, the character is destiny. For organizations, culture is destiny.
- I think when people say they dread going to work on Monday morning, it’s because they know they are leaving a piece of themselves at home. Why not see what happens when you challenge your employees to bring all of their talents to their job and reward them not for doing it just like everyone else, but for pushing the envelope, being adventurous, creative, and open-minded, and trying new things? – Tony Hsieh (From his book Delivering Happiness)
- Our business is based on repeat customers and word of mouth. There’s a lot of value in building up our brand name and what it stands for. We view the money that we spend on customer service as marketing money that improves our brand.
- No matter what your past has been, you have a spotless future.
- Things are never as bad or as good as they seem.
- I made a list of the happiest periods in my life, and I realized that none of them involved money. I realized that building stuff and being creative and inventive made me happy. Connecting with a friend and talking through the entire night until the sun rose made me happy. Trick-or-treating in middle school with a group of my closest friends made me happy. Pickles made me happy. – Tony Hsieh (From his book Delivering Happiness)
- Problems are just mile markers. Each one we pass means we’ve gotten better.
- It’s important to constantly challenge and stretch yourself, and not be stuck in a job where you don’t feel like you are growing or learning.
About Zappos Company
Zappos is an online shoe and clothing retailer based in Las Vegas, US. The company was founded by Nick Swinmurn on July 12, 1999. The current CEO is Tony Hsieh and he is successfully leading the company. The company was initially launched under the domain name Shoesite.com.
Zappos.com is known for its incredible customer service, free shipping, and free 365-day return policy. But beyond the shipping box, the company believes in building a positive family spirit through human connection, community involvement, and charitable giving.